The business of detox products is the real deal these days. One of them is reaching its heights, and that is activated charcoal. If you visit cafes, or food stores that serves healthy food, you must have noticed activated charcoal. Activated charcoal has created a huge social media hype as well.
What is Activated Charcoal?
It is nothing but just normal charcoal powder activated by being heated up by high temperatures. It is made from coconut shells, sawdust, and coal of course. When it is highly heated up, the oxygen gets removed which changes the chemical structure of the material creating much smaller particles. So, activated charcoal is basically super-fine quality of charcoal with millions of tiny pores that captures and engulfs poison, chemical, heavy metals and so on.
Activated charcoal is found in the form of many products now, such as toothpaste, facial products, ice cream, coffee, tablets, and so on. It is taking over every kind of product.
Activated Charcoal : The detox hack celebrities are using
Many famous celebrities have also started using activated charcoal for its magical benefits. Priyanka Chopra, the actress from Quantico uses activated charcoal face mask regularly.
You know the hype is real when the Kardashians start participating to it as well. Kim Kardashian is one of those to use activated charcoal beauty products and food.
Benefits of Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal was used for medicinal and environmental cleansing purpose, but now it has a wide variety of benefits. The craze for this product is increasing day by day, as it is widely available in different forms and benefits.
- Activated Charcoal benefits for face-
- It makes the pores of your skin look smaller
- Prevents oily skin
- Prevents acne
- Activated Charcoal benefits for hair-
- Gives more volume and that extra bounce, just like the TV commercials
- Prevents dandruff and itchiness
- Advances hair growth
- Activated Charcoal benefits for teeth-
- Whitens teeth
- Prevents bad cavities or any gum disease
- Blocks bad breath
- Activated Charcoal benefits for weight loss-
- Promotes weight loss
- Detoxes your body
There are many other benefits of activated charcoal, other than these such as it prevents hangover (finally, a magical fix?), it is a very good detox for alcohol or drugs, an agent of water filtration and so on. The above mentioned benefits are the most important and common ones of all. Let us know dive deep, and find out some of the benefits of some activated charcoal products and how to use them.
How to use activated charcoal
Activated charcoal powder is considered to be extremely absorptive and a great detoxifying agent.
There are many ways to use activated charcoal powder such as-
1. Charcoal powder/ toothpaste for teeth whitening
Charcoal powder or toothpaste is very effective in absorbing out stains of coffee and tea, from any surface. Similarly, it is great for whitening your teeth. With the powder, you can brush your teeth and it will absorb all the stains from your teeth and make them shine.
How to use charcoal powder/toothpaste for teeth whitening:
- Take a clean and wet toothbrush and put pea sized activated charcoal powder
- Gently brush for 2 minutes then spit and rinse
- Although at first, your mouth will look black and scary, but soon you will notice the fantastic change
- Since charcoal is an abrasive product, it can cause harm to your tooth enamel
- It will not whiten teeth below enamel
- If you are using some oral medicine, the charcoal can remove that too so be consult a doctor if that is the case.
2. Activated charcoal face mask/peel off mask
Under beauty products, activated charcoal face mask is the most hyped product. It pulls out the oil and dirt from the skin, and makes your face glow.
How to use activated charcoal face mask
- In a wooden spoon, bowl or a cup, mix ½ tsp. of activated charcoal powder ½ tsp. of Bentonite clay
- Add pprox.. 1 tsp. of water to create a thick paste
- Use a natural face cleanser first to clean your face
- Apply the charcoal paste on your face evenly and gently, like a mask
- Let it dry for 10-12 minutes
- Wash it off with water
- Gently clean your face with a towel
- Then, apply a natural face moisturizer
- Lastly, exfoliate your skin for a better and deeper clean
Although, activated charcoal peel off mask is easily available in the market these days, which is as effective as charcoal powder. There are instructions given on the product itself of how to use it.
- Using it for a long period may cause nausea, vomiting and intestine disorders
- It can stick on to your hair or skin pretty hard sometimes, be careful while pulling it off
3. Activated charcoal for hair
When applied on your scalp, activated charcoal can absorb all the dirt, oil and other particles from your hair. It will give your hair more volume and your head will feel lighter.
How to use activated charcoal powder for hair
- Take ½ tsp. of charcoal powder in your hand
- Massage into dry scalp for 15 minutes
- Rinse it with water and then follow your regular hair care routine
4. Activated charcoal for detox
There are some environmental factors such as food pesticide and fertilizers, toxins from below average quality food, junk food, can cause us to fall sick or lose out on energy. It can create health issues such as indigestion, or can affect our mind and soul. If you use activated charcoal as a detox for your body regularly, you will feel much better, energetic and vibrant.
How to use activated charcoal for detox
- You can either take 1 capsule every day
- You can have it in your food such as coffee, tea or ice cream
- Do not use activated charcoal if you are suffering from any kind of intestinal obstruction
- It is better to not have charcoal in your coffee, tea or ice cream as you may lose the actual vitamins and minerals of the food
Activated charcoal- Is it worth the hype?
Although there is an uproar of activated charcoal, one must give it a thought if it is actually beneficial for us. It has some benefits overall, but it comes with some well-known risks as well, such as-
- Overdose of activated charcoal can lead to severe constipation
- Some activated charcoal product contains sorbitol, which is a laxative and you might suffer from acute diarrhea
- If you are under any treatment, activated charcoal will completely nullify the effect of the medication of that treatment
- Blockage of intestinal tract
- Lungs problem such as regurgitation
It is a known fact that people have been fooled before due to such hypes which resulted in deadly outcomes. Much like the Radium Girl’s case back in the 1920’s. When radium was first invented by Marie Curie and her husband, it was used in many products and got famous because of its magical healing qualities and glow-in-the-dark factor. But soon, it was discovered how hazardous radium is and it took a deadly turn as people suffered from anaemia, bleeding gums and even death.
Thus, due to lack of proofs, some doctors prescribe us not to treat activated charcoal as a medicine or beauty product.
What are your thoughts and findings?